Monday, July 5, 2010

Addiction

We're at that time of year when I'm visited by an annual addiction. I've tried to ease off, but it's no good. I'm hopeless at avoiding the temptation. I refer of course, to "Tour de France-itis." It's had a serious hold of me now for about a decade, and for the next three weeks, I shall be glued to the TV to watch the 175+ cyclists fight their way around the route.

I've seen Lance Armstrong win his seven titles and also the sad business of champions disqualified due to drugs. There's always drama outside the actual business of turning the pedals.

It's not just the race, it's also the scenery that draws me. France is indeed a beautiful country and the race goes through some of the best of it. The section in the Alps is probably the finest, but there are never bad days as far as TV coverage is concerned.

The start of this year's race was not without incident. The Prologue was in Rotterdam, and then for Stage One the bikers rode some 130 miles down through Belgium to end the day in Brussels. Once again I was attracted to the scenery of two countries I had grown fond of. There were four terrible crashes, which downed several cyclists. But fortunately Armstrong - in his final Tour appearance - Leipheimer, Hincapie, Horsovd, McEwan, Cavendish, and the other stars survived.

Perhaps next year I will take the cure and resist it, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment