Sunday, July 18, 2010

Got Milk?

The other day I was talking to a friend about home deliveries. They occured a long time ago and although I have lived in the US for 28 years, I don't remember seeing any here. Maybe Express Dairies in the UK still roll along in those little electric "floats" in the blue and white regalia. I don't know. Perhaps you can tell me.

I remember growing up just after the war, we had a milkman who delivered pints and half pints of milk to the doorstep every day. He had a horse and cart. Should the horse make his own delivery while in the vicinity, we would quickly find a shovel and the offering would be dug into the garden as soon as possible. There was no charge from the milkman for this additional service.

When I used to visit my grandparents in Sussex in the 40's and early 50's the same service was provided but this time by a "Milk Maid." She delivered the milk in churns and used a measure to fill up a jug we gave her at the back door. "Milk Maid's here!" Would be the cry when she appeared - and also on Saturday when she came around for the money. She wore a blue uniform and a mop cap. It all seems very quaint now looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment