Sunday, July 25, 2010

Movie Going

Mile high movie theater in Big Bear

Recently I went to see Inception. It was an odd film, but because I was determined not to lose the thread of it, I concentrated a little more strongly than I would normally have done. I saw it locally and therefore the experience was entirely about the movie, and not the surroundings.

This week's column is about the experience of moviegoing and how it has changed over the years. No more cigarette smoke for instance - one doesn't even see it on the screen, unless the character is really really bad; like a Republican politician for example.

My first viewings of movies were in huge cinemas with everyone, including the underaged, all puffing away. It's amazing that the projector could break through the fog to the screen.

A couple of weeks ago I went to one of the new megaplexes and was impressed with the quality of seat, sound and picture. The regulars were of course quite used to it by now, and I wonder how they would have got on with our local place and the showing of Inception. You can read the entire article at www.sbsun.com/trevorstravels

No comments:

Post a Comment