Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Naps

I have to confess to a certain love of afternoon naps. Most of the people I know seem to regard this pleasure as a weakness. Maybe it is. But I ignore the criticism.

I believe I am not alone in this habit; Churchill, Napoleon and other famous people have been known to get their "heads down" from time to time. It has also been followed by most of the male members of my family. My father had a sofa in his office for years and his staff were most protective of his need for "forty winks." Grandad's preferred spot was an arm chair in the front room. I can do the sitting up job, but much prefer the horizontal method. Usually no more than 20 minutes though.

From time to time reports come out praising naps and I have yet to find a negative report on them. Sometime they are called "power" naps, and I did know one business in Canada years ago that acknowledged their use. This small firm had a nap room with several sofas where employees could relax when the need arose.

I did wonder if I would grow out of the habit, but so far there's no sign. What are your feelings on naps?

No comments:

Post a Comment