Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seventy-one

Today is the day I officially go into "the red." Three score years and ten is the oft quoted span for us, and so today being my birthday I have run over that number by hitting 71. It's not as traumatic as last year's was. Seventy was a hard gate to go through. There's no escaping that number. Sixty you can still kid yourself a little, but not the big seven-oh!

So having had a year to adjust to the fact that my age now starts with a seven, I suppose adding a small "one" on the end is not too bad.

I now have to work hard to beat the statisticians' predictions and continue to hurt the government by taking more of my allotted social security than they calculated for me. I also have to keep "the old man out!" Once you let him in he'll stay. So if any of you locals find me shuffling around, please administer a well aimed boot to my posterior and tell me to get a damned grip!

No comments:

Post a Comment