Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Catching Up

Occasionally I find I've fallen behind society.  Things and customs move on and there has been the odd time when I was obviously staring out the window of life and not paying attention.

I was driving off the hill the other day and as I often do, I stopped at a filling station for a cup of coffee.  As I got out of the car I realized I had come out without any money.  Now, even though many years of marriage have accustomed me to pretty empty pockets, I normally manage to secrete some small amounts about my person.  But this time nothing - not a cent; I was skint!

My natural reaction was to accept my lot and travel on coffee-less.  But something nagged at me and I went into the shop and asked the clerk if I could pay for a coffee with a credit card.  He looked at me as if I had just climbed out of an alien space ship and told me "Of course!"  I payed $1.49 and his demeanour was such as to put me in my place as people no doubt do this all the time.  I don't think I've ever payed such a small amount on a credit card in my life.  It felt quite odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment