Sunday, September 5, 2010

WRITING

I mentioned the other day to a friend that maybe they should consider writing a book of experiences of their lives for their grandchildren.  Shortly after my grandson, Evan, was born, I saw an interview with Charlton Heston.  He said that he had written a number of ideas down for his grandson and it gave me something to think about.

The result is that I wrote a series of essays for Evan and had them printed and bound.  The book is in red leather and about 300 pages long.  It was not as expensive as I had thought, and I had three copies made.  The subjects cover everything I felt might be of interest to him in say 25 years time.

I wish that I had been left something from my grandparents other than the usual small items.  It would have been very interesting to hear what they thought about the issues of the day and the changes that were going on around them. 

The most important thing for anyone thinking of doing this is to start.  Just begin, and then the rest will fall into place.  Keep the essays down to about a page and a half and don't let up.  It will be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment