Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17th

Current Ride

It was 18 years ago today that I became a member of the motorcycling community.  It was quite a traumatic moment in my life.  S.W.M.B.O. was not amused by the entire business.  I had been corrupted by my eldest son, Michael, who had gleaned correctly that it was something that I would really enjoy.

Now, older Brits like me have a bit of a problem with motorbikes, seeing them as they do as low class transportation.  On top of that they are of course, dangerous.  But I went several times to the local Harley dealership and built up some information about their machines.  Eventually my activities were detected by the distaff side of the household.  A firm discussion then followed, but she bowed to my foolish desires and sought solace in my joining the CHP M/C course.

After a couple of hours riding a Honda 150cc machine in a parking lot, the time came to take delivery of my Harley Davidson FXRS - SP; all 1340 cc's of it.  Squeaking around in my new boots, stiff gloves and odd looking leather jacket, I mounted the beast and drove away.  I was terrified.


In the garage under wraps waiting til I'm too frail to lift the Harley!
 My first hazard was out into one of LA's busiest cross streets at Washington and Lincoln - just to add to the fun, they were making a film that day and several motorcycle cops were lounging around directing traffic.  I didn't drop the damned thing but I shall never forget the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment