Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday's Column - Bookbinding

Sunday's column was about getting a book bound (not published).  I ran into The Book Craftsman some years ago when I was doing a piece on Mentone at the foot of the San Bernardino Mountains.  The firm was founded in the 1930's by a Swiss gentleman working out of his garage, but today it is owned and run by Mike Arnold, an ex-Brit, who retired from his law practise and wanted something to keep him busy.  This is him holding a book I wrote some years ago.

Which brings me to the point of the story.  As a service to your young heirs, why not write a series of essays for them to enjoy when you're no longer around?  Frankly it's not hard, and the result will be treasured by successive generations.  You just have to start, and of course, have a place where they will bind the result.  It's not expensive either.  I had three red leather copies made of the book I wrote for Evan, my grandson, and they cost less than $100 each.  He will get his copy when he's 21.  As a compulsive writer, I'm working on another for him.  This time in blue, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment