Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jazz

For those of you who listen to my Music Track from time to time, you will no doubt notice a total absence of jazz.  There is a reason for this.  I don't care for the medium.  Also I'm somewhat guilty about it as I feel I just haven't tried hard enough.

I have no idea who these blokes are but at least they're wearing ties!
Growing up just before Rock and Roll became so huge, the only type of music available, outside dance music and classical, was jazz.  Mostly it was what was called Traditional Jazz - Monty Sunshine, Acker Bilk and the like.  I would occasionally go along to places where this was played - usually in hot stuffy cellars.  It was OK but it never gave me goose bumps.  The other type was played by Johnny Dankworth and sung by Cleo Lane.  The former died recently.  I really tried hard with them but it just didn't take.

I quite liked the Modern Jazz Quartet playing quietly in the background, but that's about the limit of my knowledge.  I would like someone to explain how I can step up to the mark on jazz, but I fear it could be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment