Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding

Well, it's finally over!  I'm afraid that She Who Must Be Obeyed (S.W.M.B.O.) did mention to me at 3 a.m. that it was going on.  I didn't respond favorably as I was trying to go back to sleep.  I knew that first thing at 7 we would get the fast revue of it all and that would be quite enough.  Also for those with an unhealthy need to watch such things, there would endless repeats over the next few days.
I have to say I was relieved that a) there was no "incident." And b) that it didn't rain on the event.
There have been so many people over the last week or two ask my opinion about this royal wedding that I've been at something of a loss to talk about it.  It is flattering to be asked, but it's a "foreign" affair after all.  Nonetheless it has been incredible to see the amount of coverage here.  Every network that can scrape together enough frequent flyer reward points to send a crew over has done so.  Every day this week we have been bombarded with reports from outside Buckingham Palace and other landmarks. 
Well, as I say it's over now and perhaps the wedding has given the Royals a much needed boost to their ratings.
As to the popularity of such an anachronism perhaps it's this: in our modern world with so much unpleasant change going on I think people want a link to the past that contains a touch of magic.  It is also a look at the world's longest running soap opera, which has been going on continuously for a thousand years.  For all that I seriously hope that the marriage will be a happy one; they seem very nice young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment