Monday, August 29, 2011

Meat

I'm surprised I've lived this long, when considering the unwise amounts of meat I've eaten in my early life.  All the dietitians I have ever heard talk about the matter have said that red meat it not good for you.  Over the last 20 years or so, I can say that we have cut down enormously on red meat as chicken is so widely available.  It's hard to imagine that as a child chicken was actually a luxury, and rarely available.


One of the treats when eating out in England used to be a mixed grill.  Often served in medium cost restaurants, this dish is a cardiologist's nightmare.  It consisted, if my memory serves me right of: a lamb's kidney; a small piece of gammon; a piece of steak; a sausage; a small lamb chop; half a tomato, and occasionally a fried egg.  So all the bases were covered.

I actually made one the other evening, minus the kidney of course, as "organ" meat as it's called out here is not easy to get.

When you consider that in addition most of us ate a full English breakfast before going to school, it's amazing that anyone survived beyond our forties.

No comments:

Post a Comment