Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Oktoberfest

We have reached a most unfortunate time of the year - Oktoberfest!  Now there are three things that I find unpleasant about this festival: a) that nasty "K" in the spelling and not the customary softer Anglican "C." b) then there is the fact that it starts in September and runs for nearly six weeks up here, and finally c) the worst, which is the abundance of normally fine, good hearted Americans dressing up in lederhosen and dirndl dresses and dancing the polka.  Now any one of these I can live with but the overall effect is most distressing.

I had to do an assignment a few years ago where I went along to this nonsense held at the convention center every year; I believe they're in their 44th this year, or close to it.
It was the most revolting spectacle I could ever have imagined.  I thought we'd stamped out that sort of thing back in 1945, but no, and it's going on here in Big Bear and other normally decent places, I believe.  Oom-pah-pahs all over the place and large quantities of hot dogs consumed with gallons of saurkraut.  Quite distressing for anyone with a sensitive nature like me.  I'm surprised it hasn't been stopped or at least taxed to death.  I have an understanding that I shall never be asked to cover the event by The Sun, as I cannot guarantee not losing my normal restraint in any resulting article.

No comments:

Post a Comment