Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Movie Number 5

This week we reach the halfway point of my favorite movies of all time.  Number 5 is "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe.  I've mentioned this movie before in an earlier post when I was writing about my grandfather who was in the Royal Navy.  He first served his apprentiship aboard a sailing ship and the traditions he endured were not that far removed from the setting of this era in history, which was during the great period of Admiral Lord Nelson.
The film shows the life aboard one of Nelson's fighting ships under the command of its Captain played by Russell Crowe.  I love his understanding of the ship, the men and his responsibilities - truly a man in the right job at the right time.  There is one scene where he stands on the bowsprit hanging onto a line, charging through the foaming water, obviously loving every minute of it. The battle scenes are horribly realistic, but I believe very accurate as is everything else about this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment