Monday, November 7, 2011

Accident

We had a tragic accident here a few weeks back.  Early one morning, a lady motorcyclist was riding westwards along one of Big Bear's main roads when a car came out of a turning having made or not made a stop first.  The driver ran straight into the woman and she was killed.  There is a rather sad little roadside tribute to her with crossed skis as she was one of the managers at Snow Summit ski resort.
Unlike the illustration above, where the bike has gone into the van, in this instance the vehicle ran into her and crushed her.  I wondered how such a thing could happen in broad daylight.  But the other morning I was driving along in the same spot and almost the same thing happened to me.  I was in the car and noticed another car about to come out of the same turning where the accident happened.  The sun was directly behind me and was streaming into the other driver's eyes.  He fortunately saw me and stopped, but had I been on the Harley he might not have seen me as he was momentarily blinded.  And motorcycles are not as large as automobiles or trucks.  Note to self: Remember to keep an eye on the sun's direction for other motorists!

No comments:

Post a Comment