Thursday, November 10, 2011

Beans on Toast!

One of the things about lugging an English accent around is that people often want to know where you're from.  Sometimes they recognise it (and it not being Australian!)  One lady the other day made a comment to me about being English, as she had once had an English boyfriend.  She told me: "I always remember he had this habit of eating beans on toast - revolting!"  Not surprisingly, Morgue File, where I get the pictures I don't take myself, does not have a photo of beans on toast, but with this one you can imagine it.  Now Heinz was the brand that we kids mostly enjoyed in this way, but Crosse and Blackwell would substitute from time to time.  As she was going away, I was forced to let her know of another Brit thing - Spaghetti on toast!  "Oh no," she cried.  "That's far, far worse."  I didn't have the heart to let her know that the most perverted among us would on occasions slide a fried egg on top!  Now that's what I'm talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment