Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Traitor?

During our visit to the Tower of London we stopped at Traitor's Gate.  Evan took this picture of me in front of it.
It was originally built by Edward I  in the 13th century to allow the royal family access to the palace from the River Thames. Remember, the roads in those days were very bad and sometimes almost impassable. The river therefore was the great highway.  Later on in the 16th century it was used to bring in prisoners for their incarceration, and also their execution.  On the way they would pass by the mounted heads of other executed people.  It was just this sight that greeted Ann Boleyn when she was brought here in 1536.  I may have deserted the UK 30 years ago and choose now to live in the US, but I don't think it actually makes me a traitor, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment