Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lawrence of Arabia

I have in my possession an ostrich egg.  It belonged to my grandfather who was in the Royal Navy.  As such he traveled quite a bit in the Middle East and told me that he had met T. E. Lawrence.  At the time I was quite young and I didn't know who Lawrence was and didn't understand his significance. His large book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, featured quite prominently on Grandad's book case.



On this egg is a black ink sketch of an ostrich and this, my grandfather told me, was drawn by the great man himself.  I have no way of proving it, of course.  But the egg is a lovely thing and getting close to 100 years old. Lawrence of Arabia died in a motorcycling accident in 1934.  A few years ago on a visit, I drove along by the exact spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment