Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Snow

I try not to talk about weather here.  Everybody has it and it's not that interesting to those not cowering from whatever effects the climate is having on you.  However this season, in spite of Al Gore's dire prediction, has been exceptionally cold.  We started snow in early November and we keep on getting it.
I believe the Eskimos have about 50 different words for snow, but they generally accept it and leave it alone.  Down here however we fight it and become obsessed with clearing it away from our drives and pathways.
With this in mind I would like to introduce you to the latest tools in our regular fight - on the left a new shovel which scoops the snow away and avoids the need to lift it.  On the right is a new product by Toro, which is an electric blower.  Both these tools are extremely effective with up to about eight inches of snow, and I can clear the drive in about 20 minutes.  If there is more than that, then the big boy comes out - that's the petrol driven snorting beast that will handle up to four feet.  If it's more than that we only have one recourse - S.W.M.B.O*.  She is dynamite with a shovel!  Often as I'm inside with a mug of hot chocolate in my hands I have to admire the way she can clear it away.  It almost makes me feel guilty.

* She Who Must Be Obeyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment