Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Number Ten - Deighton

I struggled a little with this list as I've been actively been reading for over 65 years, so a lot of books have passed before my eyes.  In the end I decided on a book by Len Deighton called Bomber.  Now, normally Deighton is well known - and deservedly so - for his Cold War spy stories.  His hero is Bernard Samson as against George Smiley.  He is a little like John le Carre, but a bit faster and less atmospheric.  However, Bomber is a book about a bombing raid over Germany in WWII.  It opened my eyes to exactly what it was like to be in the pilot's seat, the gunner's seat and also what it was like on the ground.  It is full of amazing details and held my interest all the way through.  I read it around 1970 and I can still remember many of the facts he wrote about.  Bomber by Len Deighton comes in as Number Ten on the list of all time best books.

No comments:

Post a Comment