Thursday, February 2, 2012

Google Translator

OMNES PORCI - VENDATORI IACENT OMNIA!
I was sent a joke the other day.  Unfortunately it was in German.  As I explained to my friend I was given the choice of either German or Geography at school and chose the latter.  Therefore my German is at best extremely poor.  Nonetheless I enjoy languages and their amazing differences.  Living in America there is little chance for hearing different languages except Mexican Spanish from time to time and so I do miss that aspect of living so close to Europe. 
As for the joke, he told me to use the Google Translator of which I had no knowledge - or even its existence.  I pasted the joke in after selecting the language and hey presto, up came the English.  Incredible!
Some years ago I actually paid some fellow $5 to translate our old company's motto.  It turns out that he got it wrong.  He told me it was "omnes homini porci sunt - omnes vendatori mentiuntor!"  The correct translation is above, according to Google.

Oh, if you want to know what it means without going to Google Translator.  It's: All men are pigs - all salesmen lie!  I had to take a little license with the word salesmen as it seems in Roman times it didn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment