Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday's Column - Medical Museum

I'm sure you often receive those emails that laud how things were years ago.  Funnily enough, medicine is never one of the things that people want to experience how it used to be.  Just as well.
In Riverside is a museum devoted to things medical and it's one of my favorite places.  It's quite refreshing to see how far we've come along in that area.
This is one of the big cabinets that shows the range of medicines that were doled out by the medical profession 100 years ago.  A few years ago I met a docent here and he explained to me that most of the cures were 80% to 90% alcohol.  It had the effect of making people feel better.  I guess that one way of dealing with the problem.  You can read the entire column at www.sbsun.com/trevorstravels Oops, I see that The Sun has not yet posted the piece on the Web site.  I'll have to see about that!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete