Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bucket List - Skydiving

Number four on the list is to skydive.  Now I've done this five times back in 1993 from a skydiving center in the Mojave Desert called California City.  The system then was a lot of instruction followed by a jump at 5,000 feet from an Otter twin engined plane.  You were fixed to the plane with a line of about six feet and it pulled the 'chute out as you exited the doorway.  It's a really frightening thing to do.  But once you're out it's easy and not scary at all.  You just float down with a little loudspeaker attached to your belt, and the instructor on the ground talks you towards the circled landing zone.  Steering the 'chute with the ropes is also very easy.  I never got the landing quite right though.
After four jumps I did a free fall, where an instructor jumps out with you -  usually holding onto your clothing and making sure you pull the 'chute yourself at about 5,000 feet - you exit at about 12,000.
Quite honestly I never got used to the fear of it all, plus it was a heck of a long way to drive.  Skydiving is also one of those activites of "hurry up and wait!"  So I stopped.  However, I recently did an article on Perris which is one of the best places to jump in California and I have to say I would like to do it again.  However the fixed line system is not used any more and now you are strapped to an instructor doing a freefall.  Maybe for my 80th birthday, like George H. Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment