Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Wind

Men often say they think they're getting like their fathers.  I can relate to that, but I also sometimes feel I'm getting like his father, of whom I was exceptionally fond.  He was in the Royal Navy and was very affected by the weather. He lived in Southampton, Hampshire during the years that I knew him, and generally the weather is not too bad down there.  But he hated it when the wind went round to the east.  He would humph around the house tapping the barometer.
He had served the first few years in the Royal Navy under sail, and I suppose much of his dislike came from the feeling of vulnerability if the wind was in your face and your enemies on the Continent had it at their backs.  Also all that dirty air the Germans. French and other foreigners breathed out was coming our way.
Here too in Southern California, an east wind is not good.  In the current season it is hot and unhealthy from the desert, and a little later it becomes the dreaded Santa Anas (in actuality, the Santana Devil Winds) which blow hot air and fire danger.  In the photo above you can see it's blowing from the east.  Grandad wouldn't like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment